Gmin7
I'm just beginning to emerge from the funk that somehow manages to overtake me every year during this season. I'm with whomever wrote the song - spring can really hang you up the most.
My improvement in mood has been helped by preparations for upcoming gigs. The inevitable end-of-year accompanying jobs have actually proved to be somewhat interesting this time. I've particularly enjoyed learning Boris Blacher's Divertimento for Trumpet, Trombone and Piano (although I haven't actually rehearsed with any brass players yet, so my thoughts on the piece might yet change). I had never even heard of the composer, but now I'm curious about his other chamber works and solo piano music. The part is tonal and fairly sparse with some jazzy quirks. It's a bit like Hindemith without all the pesky counterpoint. The sixth of seven movements is written for piano solo, with a left hand ostinato of quarter note thirds that step up and back down, separated by beats of rest. The extremely slow tempo makes it the work's longest movement (still only around 2 minutes). I've concentrated on making the ostinato completely regular, like a traffic light blinking intermittently over an empty intersection in an imaginary Hopper painting.
Labels: new music, practicing

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home