Minor Musings

"Le silence éternal des espaces infinis m’effraie" - Pascal

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Proof of Life

I haven't exactly had a stress-free existence lately, so in place of an actual post I've decided to share more photos from my last visit to the Boston MFA. The first is of an ornately decorated Hensch harpsichord from 1736, one of only five surviving.





My other favorite in the MFA's instrument room was a 1796 Broadwood piano. At first I was perplexed by the middle pedal- surely a piano this early could not have been outfitted with a sostenuto?- and I think the security guard was wary of me peering underneath the instrument on my hands and knees. According to a book on the collection's keyboard instruments (which I did ultimately find and order online, after great effort), the middle pedal actually controlled a drumstick that would strike the underside of the piano. It may have also been linked to a cymbal or triangle. Evidently it provided a bit of "Turkish music" to accompany the pianist. It reminded me of some old player pianos I've seen that also included percussion sounds.




The media was full of stories last week about the NY Phil's trip to North Korea. I don't think the orchestra has enjoyed that much attention since Bernstein was alive. I listened to parts of the broadcast and enjoyed Maazel's attempts to speak Korean. I'm not sure what he was trying to say and I'm fairly certain the audience wasn't either. Maybe the Music Director will return to NY with an Asian rock star haircut. Or wig.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home