Minor Musings

"Le silence éternal des espaces infinis m’effraie" - Pascal

Saturday, April 07, 2007

Phone rings, door chimes, in comes Company

Ever since I saw Sweeney Todd last summer I've been curious to see how the same creative team (director John Doyle and music coordinator Mary-Mitchell Campbell) would treat the return to Broadway of Sondheim's 1970 show Company. I've always had a soft spot for the show's characters and tunes, although when I saw it in the past it seemed terribly dated. I'm not sure if they've succeeded in updating the current production or if I'm just getting old.

The story revolves around Robert, a thirty-something single New Yorker who is both supported and tormented by a cast of married couples. Raul Esparza is spectacular in the starring role, bringing a wry sarcasm to the character I haven't seen in previous productions. His performance is the one reason I would recommend seeing this show. I certainly wouldn't go for the music.

The creative team attempted to recreate the success of Sweeney Todd using the same gimmick. Like the previous production, the actors in Company were required to play instruments in lieu of a pit orchestra. Unfortunately they were not nearly as successful this time around. Part of the problem was logistical. In many cases, there was simply not enough time for the actors to sing and play, as in the horribly out of tune sax trio.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home